Clue National Tour Launches with a Bang! by Makenzie Bounds

 Clue National Tour Launches with a Bang!


Makenzie Bounds


Clue, a hilarious new play, is adapted from the 1985 movie which draws inspiration from the classic Hasbro game. Translated wonderfully onto the stage, Clue follows six uproarious blackmail victims as they journey through an epic manor in an attempt to conclude who the murderer among them is before the night is up. Filled with mystery, suspense, drama, and most importantly, comedy, the tour brings something for a variety of audiences to enjoy to the stage. 


While I have played the board game, I have never seen the 1985 movie. As I took my seat, I wondered if this would make me feel behind on the many iconic lines since I was surrounded by avid fans of the cult classic in the balcony. However, at the play’s conclusion, I felt as though this was to my advantage. The show left me constantly guessing, and each new twist filled me with astonishment and laughter. 


Clue is astounding from a technical standpoint. Lighting aspects are spot on, from the sharp spotlights to the flickering of the overhead chandelier, which adds to the eerie mood. The realistic set is completely utilized and full of surprises. The sliding pieces only add to this illusion, creating multiple rooms for the characters to wind and run through. Each transition feels seamless as the manor transforms itself while numerous murders take place.


Upon introduction, guests set themselves apart and bring their own unique, captivating energy to the group’s dynamic. Everyone onstage has a clear direction for their character which brings the audience directly into the story and era. This is evident in each performance, but especially for actors Mark Price, who plays Wadsworth, and John Shartzer, who plays Mr. Green, setting them apart as standouts in the production. Price’s comedic delivery remains unparalleled in the show, and he takes the fullest advantage of his lines in order to bring every scene to life. One of my favorite moments is his exuberant recount of the night’s events. Shartzer also makes the most of his extensive stage time through his next-level physicality. His physical choices are nothing short of hilarious, and my face hurt from smiling so much at his movements and quirky characterizations.


The play is also brilliantly paced. The dialog moves quickly while some scenes are dramatized to the fullest. The blocking feels natural at times and deliberately bold at others, making events seem new, yet rehearsed, simultaneously. The panic gradually builds throughout the hour and a half, but the energy ebbs and flows to allot for sudden quips or punchlines. 


Clue is a must-see this touring season. It makes me incredibly happy to have seen the production, as I often find myself solely invested in musicals, unknowingly blocking out other theatre opportunities. However, Clue is just as, if not more, entertaining than the majority of musicals I have seen. Numerous plot twists, a blend of humorous and dramatic dialog, and gorgeous technical elements kept me invested in the entire show. I recommend Clue to all audiences, and whether it be your first time watching the story, or your hundredth, the tour has something new and exciting to offer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Dylan to Drama: Girl from the North Country - by Amélie Tonoyan

Harmony in Chaos: Company by Amélie Tonoyan

Here Comes Company! It’s Back, and Better Than Ever - Peyton Webb