Minneapolis - Where the Game Begins! (CLUE) by Leah Rimstad


Minneapolis - Where the Game Begins! (CLUE)

Left (top to bottom): Sarah Hollis as Miss Scarlet, John Treacy Egan as Colonel Mustard, Kathy Fitzgerald as Mrs. Peacock, Donna English as Mrs. White, Isabelle McCalla as Yvette, Michael Kostroff as Professor Plum, Alex Mandell as Mr. Green; right: Mark Price as Wadsworth. Courtesy of Paper Mill Playhouse; photo by Evan Zimmerman/MurphyMade


My family grew up playing the Clue board game, and I had always insisted on playing Ms.Scarlett! I love mysteries that keep you questioning until the last minute, and Clue was the perfect addition to our family game nights. The 90 minute comedy is making its debut in Minneapolis from February 27th- March 3rd, and I've been eagerly anticipating it all month! I was unsure what to expect when attending opening night at the Orpheum Theater, but it brought back so many memories I had forgotten! CLUE is inspired by the Paramount Pictures comedy film, an addition to the ‘Cluedo’ board game franchise beginning in 1949. The murder mystery plot will get you questioning until the last minute, and you might just tire yourself from laughter!

The creative team had the challenging task of bringing this nostalgic game to life, although scenic designer Lee Savage did not disappoint! The square floor tiles immediately drew my eyes, looking identical to those on the board game. Each room had similar stylized elements, creating a harmonious flow throughout the manor. The set complemented Ryan O’Gara’s lighting design, who specializes in adding a mysterious aura to the stage! Savage, no stranger to enigmatic lighting, previously worked on The Wiz and repeatedly drew me in with darkness. Before the curtains rose at the beginning of CLUE, the audience was immediately immersed in the flashing, thundering lights, welcoming us to Boddy Manor. When there was a scripted power outage, I was on the edge of my seat waiting for a scream! These eerie lights kept us guessing, making the story even more immersive and spine-chilling.

Although the designers used an ominous approach, the cast brought in a house full of laughter! From contrasting character personalities and bold acting choices, they kept my eyes hooked all night. Mr. Green (John Shartzer) was the first to get me laughing in my seat, due to his clumsiness and lack of professionalism in the manor! As a germaphobe myself, hearing him whine “I don't like germs!” made me chuckle.  Watching the suspects fall off chairs, dodge chandeliers, and struggle to make it through the night was amusing to say the least. The full cast brought such different dynamics to each of their characters yet collectively came together in moments of fear. Their tiptoes from room-to-room reminded me of animated characters' movements, and nostalgia overwhelmed me when witnessing the connection between the secret passage and 1954 lounge. The cast’s humor complemented the ghostly design, leaving for a night of unexpected thrills and shared laughter! 

After my humorous and engaging night, you may be asking, who is the murderer? You'll have to come find out for yourself! CLUE is running now through March 3rd, located at the Orpheum Theatre in Minneapolis. Let the games begin!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Dylan to Drama: Girl from the North Country - by Amélie Tonoyan

Harmony in Chaos: Company by Amélie Tonoyan

Here Comes Company! It’s Back, and Better Than Ever - Peyton Webb